Teaching Language Structure with Narrative Themed Stories
Individual intervention using digital presentation
Explore the Story Champs® Story Book
The stories provided in the Story Champs® language intervention curriculum are a critical ingredient to the success of the program. They are carefully structured for maximum instructional use and meticulously aligned with the expectations put forth by the Common Core State Standards. Personal themed stories are used so that most children can relate to the content, which serves as a familiar context for learning new and difficult language targets. Each of the stories has a matching set of printed illustration cards to help highlight and teach all the levels of language structure. There are two sets of stories – Classic Stories and BLITZ Stories, each serving a slightly different purpose.
CLASSIC STORIES (12 stories)
The first 12 stories of the program are typically needed when students first begin the program. They are simple stories used to initially teach story structure. There are two levels of each of the 12 stories. Level A stories align with expectations in preschool and beginning of kindergarten. Level B stories correspond to kindergarten and first grade expectations.
• LEVEL A: basic story structure
• LEVEL B: enhanced story structure
– character – setting – problem – feeling – action – ending – end feeling
Stories also include linguistic and vocabulary targets
BLITZ STORIES (12 stories)
Students are ready to move on to Blitz stories (13-24) when additional stories are needed to continue intervention on the basic (Level A) and enhanced (Level B) story structures OR when students demonstrate proficiency in understanding and producing the Level B Classic stories.
• LEVEL A: vocabulary words; vocabulary words from context
• LEVEL B: vocabulary words; vocabulary words from context
• LEVEL C: causal connections (because, so that)
• LEVEL D: temporal connections (after, when)
• LEVEL E: modifiers (adverbs, adjectives)
• LEVEL F: causal and temporal connections
• LEVEL G: causal connections and modifiers
• LEVEL H: temporal connections and modifiers
• LEVEL I: causal connections, temporal connections and modifiers
• LEVEL J: advanced story structure